Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Is there a Heaven?

Is there a Heaven? That's a question I've asked myself quite a bit in my life. Sometimes life on Earth seems so dark that it's hard to believe that there is a paradise of celestial glory just beyond the veil of mortality. All my life, I've been taught that when we leave this life we either go to the following places: Heaven or Hell. That's the thing about going to various churches. You hear a lot of different of different dogmas. Mind you, growing up, the question would briefly touch my mind, only to be locked in a drawer until I think of it again.

Now that I am grown, I've pondered this question so much. I suppose it sort of helps when you end up attending funerals every year for family and friends. But I often sit there and try to imagine the deceased in a state of Glory. Especially children. I love the idea of them being cradled by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It provides me comfort. After a close friend miscarried, I asked my father while I was still sobbing why. Why were they not given a chance to live? Why were they not given a chance to experience the love of a family, to grow up and have a family of their own? My father replied that God protected them from what might have been a cruel life. That they are in Heaven. I took some comfort from it, but that question is still in my mind.

Then earlier this year, it was believed that I had cancer. And the doctor told me the serious reality of the situation if my results came back positive. I would have the 5th leading cause of death for women. Death. I always fancied myself as not being afraid of death, due to it being a step we all must take. I was wrong. The terror I felt was mind numbing and and unlike anything I ever felt. I started wondering if there really was a Heaven. What would happen to me once I cross the veil of mortality. Would it be to one of the Kingdoms as the scriptures say? Or would there be nothing but darkness. During a moment of despair, two wonderful friends of mine brought up Philippians 1:21-26 which speaks of death. They went on to say that I shouldn't fear death but make peace with it because I'd be going straight to Christ. We had discussions about Heaven and what would await us there. Mind you, these friends are of a different faith than myself. But it was still comforting and it brought back my rationality. A couple of days later, the test results came back negative. I was clean.

On February 5th, I came home to find out that a man named Josh Powell had killed his sons 7 year old Charlie and 5 year old Braden. I felt a whole variety of emotions including hope that there was a Heaven those babies were in, for they deserved Heaven. The fact that they are in Celestial Glory gives me comfort. The human heart that I have also hoped there was a Hell, and that Josh was in it. I realized that in some ways this was a wrong way to think so I repented, but I couldn't fathom his actions. I'll probably never.

The next day two of my sister's classmates died in a car accident. She came over after finding out and stayed over for a few hours while I cleaned house a bit. After she left, I found out from a friend that one of my friends from high school decided to end her life. The blow was acute. I went to a candlelight vigil and thought about these girls and wondered where they were at that precise moment. I just hope they are happy where they are.

There's a song that has brought me comfort through this. It's called "Tell Me There's A Heaven" written by Chris Rea. I really like the version sang by Michael Ball. This is a video I made.




The little girl she said to me
What are these things that I can see
Each night when I come home from school
When mama calls me in for tea
Oh every night a baby dies
And every night a mother cries
What makes those men do what they do
To make that person black and blue
Grandpa says their happy now
They sit with God in paradise
With angels' wings and still somehow
It makes me feel like ice

Tell me there's a heaven
Tell me that it's true
Tell me there's a reason
Why I'm seeing what I do
Tell me there's a heaven
Where all those people go
Tell me they're all happy now
Papa tell me that it's so

So do I tell her that it's true
That there's a place for me and you
Where hungry children smile and say
We wouldn't have no other way

And I'm looking at the father and the son
And I'm looking at the mother and the daughter
And I'm watching them in tears of pain
And I'm watching them suffer
Don't tell that little girl
Tell me

Tell me there's a heaven
Tell me that it's true
Tell me there's a reason
Why I'm seeing what I do

Tell me there's a heaven
Where all those people go
Tell me they're all happy now
Father tell me that it's so

Tell me there's a heaven

Tell me

The answer to the question is: Yes. I believe in Heaven. I believe that these angels live with God and Jesus Christ. That Angels hold them. That I will hopefully one day go into one of the Kingdoms. That my family will be with me someday. I know this with my heart and soul. 


ke7ejx.


No comments:

Post a Comment