Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ode to Our Spiritual Seas




I'm on vacation at the coast but am unable to attend church, so I was able to enjoy the blessings of going to www.byutv.org and watch a worship service. The speakers gave sermons on enduring to the end and using our spiritual gifts. It's wonderful to feel the spirit and worship my Creator, even when I am not in the loving arms of my ward family.





 As I listen to the talks I look out the window at the sea and I feel a sense of awe and humility. John Keats, the English poets once penned; Oh, ye! who have your eyeballs vexed and tired, feast them upon the wideness of the Sea!” I agree with him on this. The sea is wide and deep, just like the everlasting gospel. There are many depths that the teaching can take us, so long as we are willing to take the plunge and when we immerse ourselves, our eyes feast and the banquet is fulfilling.



I love how soothing it is to watch the waves and hear the low roar that the water utters. I like the deceiving calmness that belies what lies under the surface; the beautiful, the strange, the enticing, and the lethal.... kind of reminds you of life, doesn't it? We are naturally drawn to beauty, and repulsed by ugliness.. and Satan knows this. This is why he likes to draw us close to him and is able to do things. Eve was lured to the apple first and foremost, because it looked tantalizing and delicious, and one thing lead to another and we know what happened from there. The same things happened to Mary Magdalene and Judas and Paul.....Satan tricked them into believing the things they did were acceptable, even praiseworthy...but I think we can say “April Fools!” But it's also a sign of God's grace, because he can save us from the underlying dangers and the currents that can carry us until we are lost forever. We just have to cling onto Him and know that His forgiveness and love will be there through every storm.


Anyway those are my thoughts on the spiritual side. The sea air is refreshing and while I ponder the mysteries of the Creator and what lessons can be taught, I can enjoy the fact that I can relax and watch the shows and catch the occasional whale and boat.

 

While I look out on the horizon, a favourite poem plays through my mind and I'll conclude my post with it for your reading pleasure:


HERE

Surrounding the island
There's sea.
But what sea?
It's always overflowing.
Says yes,
Then no,
Then no again,
And no,
Says yes
In blue
In sea spray
 Raging
Says no
And no again.
It can't be still.
It stammers
My name is sea.

It slaps the rocks
And when they aren't convinced,
Strokes them
And soaks them
And smothers them with kisses.
With seven green tongues
Of seven green dogs
Or seven green tigers
Or seven green seas,
Beating its chest,
Stammering its name,

Oh Sea,
This is your name.
Oh comrade ocean,
Don't waste time
Or water
Getting so upset
Help us instead.
We are meager fishermen,
Men from the shore
Who are hungry and cold
And you're our foe.
Don't beat so hard,
Don't shout so loud,
Open your green coffers,
Place gifts of silver in our hands.
Give us this day our daily fish.


~ Ode to the Sea




ke7ejx. 


No comments:

Post a Comment