Sunday, December 5, 2010

Doctrine and Covenants, Section 4

Section 4 has to be one of my favourite section of the Doctrine and Covenants. Any Latter-day Saint that is, has or will be a missionary is familiar with this section. This section was a revelation to Joseph for his father, Joseph Smith, Sr. in February 1829. This is about Missionary Work .

"Now behold a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men." (Verse 1)

I looked at the footnotes and saw that this verse refers to the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Often in the scriptures, the term often refers to the Plan of Salvation. One thing that is crucial to that plan is bringing others to Christ.

Elder David A. Bednar said in his October 2005 Address "My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here—today and always."

Verse 2 continues with: "Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."

This means that we must go amongst our fellow men with a love of service in our hearts AND we must serve with unfailing dedication; so that when we stand before our Heavenly Father on the day of judgement he won't say "Why did you not do this?" If we serve with everything we have, not only will we bring others to Christ but we will learn from these children of God and will gain spiritual treasures that could never be found any other way.

Elder L. Tom Perry mentions this in his April 2009 Address It should be “with great earnestness” (D&C 123:14) that we bring the light of the gospel to those who are searching for answers the plan of salvation has to offer. Many are concerned for their families. Some are looking for security in a world of changing values. Our opportunity is to give them hope and courage and to invite them to come with us and join those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Lord’s gospel is on earth and will bless their lives here and in the eternities to come.

The gospel is centered on the Atonement of our Lord and Savior. The Atonement provides the power to wash away sins, to heal, and to grant eternal life. All the imponderable blessings of the Atonement can be given only to those who live the principles and receive the ordinances of the gospel—faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Our great missionary message to the world is that all mankind is invited to be rescued and to enter the fold of the Good Shepherd, even Jesus Christ.

Our missionary message is strengthened by the knowledge of the Restoration. We know that God speaks to His prophets today, just as He did anciently. We also know that His gospel is administered with the power and authority of the restored priesthood. No other message has such great eternal significance to everyone living on the earth today. All of us need to teach this message to others with power and conviction. It is the still, small voice of the Holy Ghost that testifies through us of the miracle of the Restoration, but first we must open our mouths and testify. We must warn our neighbors."

Verses 3 and 4 speak volumes on whom should serve: "Therefore, if ye have a desire to serve God ye are called to the work;

"For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul."

This means that you don't have to be a full time missionary to serve others. I have found that most investigators and converts come to know of the fullness of the gospel through a friend or family member other than the missionaries. I know this because I was one of those investigators. I joined the church 25 February 2005 and I did it with the help of a friend about to go on his mission and his family's support. The missionaries taught me the discussions, but the members showed me the way.

The world in this day and age needs guidance through the smog and pollution of material greed and lustful desires. There are many people out there whom have a desire to live a better life. Do we not as Latter-day Saints, as Christians, have a duty to our fellow men? The field is ready to harvest, we just need to pick up our sickles and open our mouths and live according to gospel teaching.

Verse 5 and 6 commands this of us: "And faith, hope and charity and love with an eye single to the glory of God qualify him for the work.

"Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence."

These are the virtues we must live up to. These are qualifications to be an effective representative of the Lord.

President Thomas S. Monson recalled "Many years ago I boarded a plane in San Francisco en route to Los Angeles. As I sat down, the seat next to mine was empty. Soon, however, there occupied that seat a most lovely young lady. As the plane became airborne, I noticed that she was reading a book. As one is wont to do, I glanced at the title: A Marvelous Work and a Wonder. I mustered up my courage and said to her, “Excuse me. You must be a Mormon.”

She replied, “Oh, no. Why do you ask?”

I said, “Well, you’re reading a book written by LeGrand Richards, a very prominent leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

She responded, “Is that right? A friend gave this book to me, but I don’t know much about it. However, it has aroused my curiosity.”

I wondered silently, Should I be forward and say more about the Church? The words of the Apostle Peter crossed my mind: “Be ready always to give an answer to every [one] that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you.” I decided that now was the time for me to share my testimony with her. I told her that it had been my privilege years before to assist Elder Richards in printing that book. I mentioned the great missionary spirit of this man and told her of the many thousands of people who had embraced the truth after reading that which he had prepared. Then it was my privilege, during the remainder of the flight, to answer her questions relative to the Church—intelligent questions which came from the heart, which I perceived was a heart seeking truth. I asked if I might have an opportunity to have the missionaries call upon her. I asked if she would like to attend one of our wards in San Francisco, where she lived. Her answers were affirmative. She gave me her name—Yvonne Ramirez—and indicated that she was a flight attendant on her way to an assignment.

Upon returning home I wrote to the mission president and the stake president, advising them of my conversation and that I had written to her and sent along some suggested reading. Incidentally, young men, I recommended that rather than sending two elders to this pretty off-duty flight attendant and her pretty roommate, two lady missionaries be assigned to call.

Several months passed by. Then I received a telephone call from the stake president, who asked, “Brother Monson, do you remember sitting next to a flight attendant on a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles earlier this fall?” I answered affirmatively. He continued, “I thought you would like to know that Yvonne Ramirez has just become the most recently baptized and confirmed member of the Church. She would like to speak with you.”

A sweet voice came on the line: “Brother Monson, thank you for sharing with me your testimony. I am the happiest person in all the world.”

As tears filled my eyes and gratitude to God enlarged my soul, I thanked her and commended her on her search for truth and, having found it, her decision to enter those waters which cleanse and purify and provide entrance to eternal life.

I sat silently for a few minutes after replacing the telephone receiver. The words of our Savior coursed through my mind: “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”

Such is the promise to all of us when we pursue our missionary opportunities and follow the counsel and obey the commandments of Jesus of Nazareth, our Savior and our King."

The final verse quotes one of the greatest promises of the Lord: "Ask, and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened to you. Amen.

If we are prayerful in all things, we will receive and answer. If we pray for missionary opportunities, we will receive them and they will change our lives.

If any of you feel inclined, I would love to read conversion stories or missionary memories.

I can promise you that as the scriptures say "How great will be your joy if you bring even one soul unto Christ".



ke7ejx

No comments:

Post a Comment